Before a transaction is submitted to the Business Operations Center for processing it should have both a budget and business purpose approval.
Budget Approval: If an expense is split between multiple orgs the approval is required from the unit paying the highest percentage of the cost.
How to obtain additional approvals if needed:
· Additional approvals can be received as an AD HOC approval in the eRequest system or eTravel system. However, this feature is only available to approvers.
· Staff can instead get a written signature or email approval and attach to the eRequest, eTravel or checking account backup.
Additional Approval Types:
Pre-approval required in writing from one-level higher than the unit approver.
· For the unit approver: Purchases made by someone else for unit approvers that could be seen as personal in nature (ex. Professional memberships, Travel, Equipment, Food – including when the unit approver is in attendance at a meal)
· By the unit approver: Purchases made directly by the unit approver (ex. PCard purchases made by the unit approver, personal reimbursements)
· Staff appreciation: Gifts to employees for appreciation (food, gifts, etc.)
· Development funds to which an approver donates: Purchases on a development fund for which the approver has authority and has donated
Additional approvals needed prior to eRequest/eTravel Request:
See this guide for who should approve these transactions.
· Approvals for direct reports to the dean
· Branding Items
· Employee Gifts (tax implications email)
· Faculty leave or travel over 10 days
· Gifts over $100 to employees
· Information Technology purchases
· Items for the Dean
No Additional Approvals Required
The university may offer acknowledgement/support (not to exceed $100 and not a gift card) to its employees in the event of: · The birth or adoption of a child · A death of an immediate family member as defined by the Office of Human Resources Family and Medical Leave Policy. · Injury or illness of an employee or his/her immediate family member. The acknowledgement may include flowers, a fruit basket or other non-cash items and should be initiated at the department level to avoid duplication. The $100 is cumulative across the organization so units with employees in multiple locations should work together for such acknowledgements. The normal unit approver may approve these expenses without higher-level approval.