On June 1, 2015, Amazon began collecting sales tax on purchases made by all Ohio customers. The University is an instrumentality of the State of Ohio, whose purchases are exempt from Ohio sales tax. To maintain the benefit the University’s sales tax exemption while preventing any improper use, the University has established an Amazon Business Account to ensure only business-related transactions are treated as tax-exempt.
- Units should maximize the use of University contracts found in eStores before considering Amazon.
- The OSU Amazon Business Account must be used for University business purposes only.
- No personal purchases may be made from a University email address (name.#) in the OSU Amazon Business Account. Using this tax-exempt account for personal use may cause the University to lose its tax exempt status and the individual may be held liable for fraud by the State of Ohio.
- All business-related expenses procured through the OSU Amazon Business Account must comply with University Expenditures, PCard, Purchasing and Internal Controls policies.
- Purchases from personal Amazon accounts are no longer permitted on a University PCard.
- Personal Amazon accounts should be set up with a personal email address, not your University email address (name.#)
- PCard Managers will be the only individuals permitted to use the account. All PCard managers will be given access to the system.
Instructions for PCard Managers
Only PCard Managers may be given access to the Amazon Business account. If you wish to join the CFAES Group to make purchases on Amazon, email Jesse Buxton and he will send you an invitation to join.
- Instructions: Finalize OSU Amazon Business Account Access as Requisitioner
- Instructions: Upload Tax Exception Certificate
- Activating your account can take a couple of business days
Frequently Asked Questions
- Third party vendors can opt out of the tax program and you will get charged sales tax on the PCard. Here is the contact for getting reimbursement of that tax: Your department can reach out to Amazon Business Customer Service Department for assistance with the reimbursement process. You can contact them via email@example.com or (888) 281-3847.
Amazon Prime, a club-like program which offers discounted goods and improved shipping options is allowable per university guidelines. However discount clubs are highly discouraged. In order to pay for Prime please include a detailed business purpose along with an analysis of the potential savings the club will provide. This documentation should be on the eRequest used to document the PCard transaction for the purchase of Prime.
Ex. # orders estimated at $# estimated shipping each = $X which exceeds the $X membership dues.