Approvals for Food and Beverage Expenses
Higher level purchase of food or beverages is required by the Expenditures policy. Below we take a look at what that means in practice.
For the purposes of these examples:
- Food in these explanations = Food or Beverage but NOT alcohol
- All of these expenses are paid at the lowest unit level 57xxx
- We will look from a county employee (educator, support staff) perspective
- CED = COUNTY DIRECTOR, RD = REGIONAL DIRECTOR, ED = EXTENSION DIRECTOR, OAA = OFFICE OF ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
- When an employee orders food and the CED doesn’t attend then the CED can approve.
- When an employee orders food and the CED attends, an RD approval is required.
- When a CED orders food or asks their support staff to order food, they need approval from the RD.
- When an employee orders food and the Regional Director attends then the CED can still approve 1. as long as the RD didn’t direct the purchase of the order and 2. the CED isn't attending. If the Regional Director asks you to order food then the Extension Director’s approval is required.
When an employee orders food and both the CED and the RD attend, then Extension Director’s approval is required.
- When an employee orders food and the Extension Director attends then the CED can still approve as long as the ED didn’t direct the purchase of the order. If the Extension Director asks you to order food then the Dean’s approval is required.
- If the Dean attends, OAA approval is always required.
No. You may purchase water and coffee for office use for any/all programming or general in-office use, then the CED can approve. But if the products are for a specific program with the CED in attendance next level approval is required.
- Enforcement of this will be on the approver – they need to know when to approve/not approve their own transactions.
- Approval can be pre-approval in the form of an email or post approval in the form of an AdHoc on the eRequest. BUT – if you don’t get preapproval be prepared to pay for the purchase personally if denied by your approver! If the next level pre-approval is attached to the entry, then the CED or RD could post approve in eRequest.
- When initiating an eRequest on behalf of someone else, change the 'Requested For' box to that person’s name. (if you don’t have access to this box, email buxton.26)
- AdHoc Approval can only happen at the approvers level – not at initiation
- The Org Number will always determine the minimum level of approval needed. County org – county director, Regional Org – RD, etc.. .
- A good business purpose tells a story: Refreshments for B. Smith’s Master Gardener Workgroup on 9/17/17 to discuss the new learning gardens.
When in doubt get higher level approval or DON’T SERVE FOOD!
Blanket approval can be given by a higher level approver if desired
You have 10 scheduled Pesticide programs over a 12 month period and want to serve refreshments. You could send an overall estimate of expenses, business purpose and request for blanket approval, if approved you could attach to all related requests.
1) Preapproval, not after the fact
2) an estimated dollar amount for the total.
3) a description of the event, it’s frequency and business purpose
4) a brief description of what you want to buy (refreshments, lunch, dinner, etc.)
5) the email approval would need to be attached to each purchase
6) limited to a budget year (either fiscal year or county year)
Questions: CFAES BOC